Saturday, June 13, 2009

And more on life

It has been too long since I have sat down long enough to share my thoughts. It is not good for me. I need this outlet and quite frankly, I need to take the time to share as it leads me to goal setting and dealing with daily stuff better. I have putting off going to the Rec and having Thomas weigh me. Putting it off because I have been eating at my stressors, not finding the time to exercise once a day, let alone twice as I need to for weight loss, and just avoiding the reality. I stayed the same and that has been over five weeks. I just lost 35 days of time I could have been moving down the scale but instead treading water to get by.
I do believe we finally have enough contracts in place to cover the full salaries of all of my staff. That has been a huge weight for the past three months. The economy is just rotten and it seems like in South Dakota, we have to fight for every penny to support schools and teachers. Shouldn't be that way!
The son of one of my teacher colleagues committed suicide last Friday night which brought back much emotion in another dear friend and her daughter who dealt with a suicide of their ex-husband and father. The young man was the nephew of another dear friend. I find this type of tradgedy very difficult to understand and I really don't know how to try to comfort or support those left behind.
Allison called to tell me her dad was in Tulsa with a very dear friend of ours, saying his "goodbyes". You know that saying - some people come into our lives and we are forever changed? Well, Jim was that person for me. I first met Jim and his family in 1967 when we were newly weds and moved to South Dakota and entered the military life. Jim was a most handsome man, a real teaser, and one of the kindest individuals I have known. I loved his first wife and their two young children. Jim and his wife, Annie, came to Allison's wedding in Tulsa and I was so touched that they would attend. Seeing Jim's smile erased the 20+ years gone by. Jim gave me a nickname "Mickey" because of had very long hair, put it up in a ponytail on top of my head and the hair fell out around my head like mouse ears. I can still hear him calling my name. I am so glad Randy was able to be with his family at this time. Jim entered heaven yesterday afternoon and I will forever love and remember him as a true friend.
There has been some very great news as well. Dillon's teacher, Mrs. Morgan who has been battling cancer this year, nominated him for Leadership in the People to People program and he was accepted. What an honor for him and his parents. Dillon is truly a very remarkable young man and is most deserving of this opportunity. Do I sound like a proud grandma?
I am anticipating some time off as I have completed my contract obligations until July 1 and the new year. I exercised twice yesterday and have alreadly gone once today. I must kick this NOW. Need your prayers. Oh, and I have decided that I don't have any short bandit friends as the pants won't travel.

3 comments:

Lonicera said...

Sylvia, you've been having a sad time - but in all this, there's no reason why you should feel bad about not losing weight. I don't know about you, but in the world of the overweight, staying the same is an achievement in itself. I've NEVER stayed the same until now (when I'm not losing, and I love the fact that there's no need to worry about those scales. You shouldn't have to fight on all fronts at once...
I'm so glad you're blogging about the bad times as well as the good. It sort of means we can too.
Caroline

Reddirt Woman said...

I agree with Caroline and Sara... not gaining is an achievement with all you have been trying to deal with, the economy, your staff, deaths of those near and dear to you. And the next time you look at the numbers on the scale... pretend it's your I.Q.

Helen

Mattsmom said...

Sylvia, My thoughts are with you as you work through all things that have come up. I totally agree with the previous posters, maintaining and not gaining is a huge achievement.
On another note, I am a teacher in So. California and we are feeling the economy and budget cuts. My job is safe but our class sizes are increasing and we took 2 furlough days in order to prevent more layoffs. I am thankful to have a job doing what I love. Like you I need to blog more but get caught up in life. I helps me a lot too. Happy Summer!!!!!!
Take care, Michele