Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A South Dakota Blizzard




Time for my travelogue for March. It has been a very challenging winter in South Dakota. A little geography for my friends. South Dakota is a rectangular shaped state that is about 380 miles long and 210 miles wide. The Missouri River runs through the central part of South Dakota. To the east of the river, lie low hills and lakes formed by glaciers. Fertile farm country covers the area. To the west of the Missouri River, the land consists of deep canyons and rolling plains. I live about 70 miles east of the Missouri River about midway between the borders with Nebraska and North Dakota. If you click on the pictures you can enlarge them to see better. The snow blows against the screens on the windows and fills the holes for a nice effect.



It started to snow at 5:00 am and these pictures were taken at 9:00 am. Four hours of accumulation. I have flowers growing on my sun porch inside and blizzard raging on the outside. You can see about 8 inches in those four hours on top of the table and hot tub. The sign above the garage door is the way I gave Vince his answer to the marriage proposal. Our last name is Street thus "Yes Street".









We feed the birds all winter and some of them are weathering the storm to see if Vince has filled the feeder by the garage. Vince built the feeder with the copper roof. Mostly English sparrows but I love watching them. No school for my grandson so he is here with me today while Mom and Dad are working. Most of the schools in South Dakota are closed today.
PS At 1:00 pm we had 14 inches of snow. And at 5:00 pm, it is still snowing.

1 comment:

Nola said...

Wow...that's a lot of snow!! I love the photos. Your little sparrows look like my "breakfast club" sparrows all lined up to see what is on offer:) Mine wait up on the roof guttering though.
I love all your plants too!!...I love my plants.