Thursday, August 7, 2008

Georgia On My Mind

I've said it before, "there is an almighty plan" and I so believe that when it comes to Georgia. When the insurance board directed me to see a clinical nutrition manager twice a month for six months, it happened that when I made the first appointment, Georgia was the one assigned to my case. From the first visit, I knew my experience with her was going to be positive. She is a delightful person who listens intently to your conversation and then gently nudges you to make some changes. It was quickly apparent she knows "her stuff". Her initial suggestion to begin to do better planning for my evening meal was the first challenge. Rather than just come in and grab anything I could find in the pantry or the refrigerator, it made sense to plan better, shop for good choices, and then select those items to eat. We have talked about chewing more and eating more slowly for six months. When I sit down to eat, I think of Georgia and her smiling face, telling me to chew, chew, chew and become more sensitive to when I feel full. We have talked about counting calories and quite frankly, even when I faithfully ate only 1200 calories a day, I haven't moved the scale. Georgia just looks at the bar and now we giggle and say "it doesn't matter". She has given me so many ideas about changing my behavior. She encourages me to select alternatives to "pop" so that I don't have to quit "cold turkey". I am almost there. Last week when I was sitting in the airport, I watched for obese people carrying diet coke. It is almost a 1:1 correlation. To think, I used to think nothing of drinking a six pack a day. Now I am sitting here with a fruit punch G2. There are people God puts in our life for a reason. I consider Georgia to be one of my angels. I hope to continue my friendship with this caretaker. I will miss my bi-monthly meeting with her as I believe these appointments have been crucial in my preparation for banding.

No comments: