Friday, August 8, 2008

Pictures are worth a thousand words

I don't believe most people know how hard it is to look at a picture of yourself when you are obese. After all, the purpose of a picture is to capture beauty or a special moment. Two years ago, I sat before a window and was looking at my toddler grandson watch the rain. My husband captured the beautiful moment. Later, I cropped the picture and captured the picture over on the left of the blog entitled "At My Heaviest". Just one month before that picture was taken, we had gone for a long walk in Minneapolis with my brother and his wife. I struggled to breathe. My knees were killing me. I stopped and looked at my husband and as I cried I declared I was going to start exercising. That was two years ago, and I have exercised. I have lost 22 pounds but we took this picture tonight in our home. Same shirt, same hair, a new scar on the neck from thyroid surgeries last February, and the same overall grief of obesity. So I say, here's to a new beginning. I will share another picture one year from today. We'll see how far I go. I want to take walks with Vince whereever he wants to travel (even though he won't fly) I just want to be able to watch my five grandsons watch the rain outside the window and play ball and open Christmas presents and graduate and walk their brides down the aisle and whatever other moments God grants to me in a healthier body! This picture is worth a thousand words in my head - You can do it! Believe in yourself! You aren't going to fail! You will be successful this time! I have a big heart but my body doesn't have to match! God give me strength.

No comments: