Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Sign Me Up

I have been waiting for today. I had my pre-op appointment with the surgeon who will do my lapbanding. I first met Dr. Glatt in February when I was diagnosed with a large node on my thyroid and he was the recommended surgeon. I am a firm believer that God has a plan for us and late in January, Vince, my husband and I had attended an introductory seminar at Sanford Hospital on bariatric surgery. That seminar was conducted by Dr. O'Brien who also practices in the Surgical Tower at Sanford. Back to Dr. Glatt! When I met with him in February before my thyroid surgery, I told him I would see him again when I had insurance approval for banding. He said, "begin with Weight Watchers now, because it will take a year". Needless to say, we were both happy to be meeting today as it has only been EIGHT months. Today we talked about the choice I have made about lapband rather than the Roux-en-Y procedure. He explained how sweets (and that is my downfall) go through the pouch in both options. I must admit, the idea of becoming so sick that you decide sugars are not worth it, sounds tempting, but I really believe I am ready to make the commitment necessary to use the band as a tool and not a crutch. When I asked him when I had to make the final decision, he said "right now". I said, "the lapband is what I want to do". Now that I am scheduled for the 3 hour class next Wednesday with the Bariatric Coordinator, I have to say this whole thing is really becoming real. A year from now, I will look back and know that my belief in myself is the most important part of this whole experience. I am committed to being healthy and able to watch my children and their children grow older along with me.

No comments: